Feed a cold, feed a fever, feed whatever ails you

I’m not much of a hamburger eater these days, but when I have a cold all I want to eat are hamburgers. Full-on king hell gravity-well craving. Specifically I’m looking for a burger from an extra hot grill that has a nice crispy char to the outside of the beef with a thick zone of medium rare inside. The bun only needs to be sufficient enough to sop up the juice. Anything else is unnecessary (cheese, bacon, and onions are OK. Pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, and dressing are not). As much as I love the Apple Pan, Pie And Burger, and Tommy’s (which really belongs in its own category) they don’t really satisfy the I’m-sick-want-burger crave. Sorry In-N-Out fans, but you’re just not on the radar.

If I was anywhere near Portland I’d be on my way to Burgerville right now as it’s dead on what I want. The bacon burger at Sidewalk Cafe on Glenoaks gets about 70% of the way there. Still looking…

About Chris Barrus

You are not cleared for this information.
This entry was posted in CKB, Food. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Feed a cold, feed a fever, feed whatever ails you

1. Jody says:

Go get a patty melt at the House of Pies.

2. Chris Barrus says:

House Of Pies has been dead to me ever since they redecorated and removed the &#960-inside-the-stick-house icon from over their front door. The newer high-wattage lighting is unattractive and the Pacific Bell line engineers that used to hang out there in the morning have moved on to someplace else.

3. Jason says:

How about Fatburger? Order it on the grill and not the pan.

And if you’re going Westside, try Philly’s west. Yeah, they’re known for their cheesesteaks, but the burgers are damn good. Even if they are oddly oblong shaped to fit the cheesteak bun. Nice divey bar. And they have a condiment bar with 4 different kinds of peppers. Glass of Fat Tire and hamburger will set you back ~$9. Call it $12 after tax and generous tip.

If you’re really psycho, you could do what I did and had them combine a cheesesteak and cheese burger all in one. Have them hold the lettuce and tomato though.

4. Doug Orleans says:

If you can make it up to Berkeley, try the Smokehouse. Or Nation’s. Or Bongo Burger. Man, I miss Berkeley.

5. Jody says:

CKB has set off some profound Burgerville cravings over here. If they have the Walla Walla onion rings right now, a road trip may be in order.

6. Chris Barrus says:

Berkeley wins for Top Dog though.