Prior to last weekend, I’d spent maybe a hour or two total in Portland, Oregon and those stops were pretty much limited to the I-5 corridor for refueling and a literal run through Powell’s. I was really looking forward to our visit over the weekend and after logging forty-eight or hours in the 503 area code I’m ready to load up the car and relocate after I get the NYC bug out of my system.
- Public transportation that makes sense: I’ve noted this before, but it needs to be repeated: Portland’s rail and bus system just makes sense. It’s low cost. It goes places where people want to go. It’s relatively inobtrusive.
- Montage: Home of the best macaroni and cheese I’ve had on this or any other planet and a bread pudding that can make stronger mortals weep. Yes it’s that good. Ultramega bonus points for being open until 4am on the weekend.
- Powell’s: Sorry Tattered Cover, Powell’s is the best bookstore in the world.
- The Governor Hotel: Every city needs at least one hotel that would be the location for a David Lynch movie.
- The Cup And Saucer: Punk rock breakfast is urgent and key.
- The Paradox Cafe: Especially when you can have a punk rock breakfast anywhere in town