"Uh, we dig uh repetition yeah, yeah we dig uh repetition, with repetition in the music then we're never gonna lose it, repetition yeah, repetition yeah, president carter he dug repetition, chairman mao he dug repetition, in germany they dig uh repitition, simultaneous suicides this is the three r's the three r's the three r's repetition, repetition, repetition"
-Mark E. Smith, "Repetition"
DroneOn at Terrastock - 26 Apr. 97
Click on picture to see a larger version.
The DroneOn Mailing List
Frequently Asked Questions Page
As compiled by Chris Barrus - email@example.com - http://www.chrisbarrus.com/
and Matt Maxwell - firstname.lastname@example.org - http://home.san.rr.com/mmaxwell/
Last updated - 18 March 2003
A Few Words About The FAQ...
Be forwarned that this isn't a FAQ in the traditional sense. DroneOn does get frequently asked questions, but it is not my intention to silence new DroneOn subscribers by telling them to "shut up and read the FAQ". New perspectives on the same old questions do actually contribute to the discussion. Really.
Secondly, it's also not my intention for the FAQ to be a omnibus guide
to all drone music. I don't have the time to write a book, much less
several, right now and it would smell like a "Guide to Drone Music Given
the Official Stamp of Approval from DroneOn" which I find abhorent. Having said that, there are some album recommendations in here - just don't take them as the final word. Someone might actually like the 80's regrouping of Amon Duul.
What I am doing with the FAQ is archiving some of the more informative
posts to the list and mixing in some of the more useful net references
that I and others have run across. If you've got more or if you want to
contribute something to this, then please do so!
The current version of the FAQ can be found at http://www.droneon.org
Table of Contents
- PART 1: DroneOn Specifics
- 1.1 - What is DroneOn?
- 1.2 - How do I subscribe/unsubscribe?
- 1.3 - Read please: elitism and manners and other shit
- 1.4 - The DroneOn Compilation - DroneOn vs. Mothra
- 1.5 - DroneOn Top 10 Lists
- PART 2: General Net Resources
- 2.1 - The Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock
- 2.2 - The Dreampop site
- 2.3 - EPSILON: The Ambient Music Information Archive
- 2.4 - KiwiMusic Database
- 2.5 - USENET newsgroups
- 2.6 - Mailing lists
- 2.7 - Delerium's Psychedelic Web
- PART 3: Music / Musicians / Bands - Current
- 3.1 - Spacemen 3, Spiritualized, Spectrum, Sonic Boom, Experimental Audio Research, The Darkside, Alpha Stone, etc.
- 3.2 - Galaxie 500, Magic Hour, Damon and Naomi
- 3.3 - New Zealand
- 3.4 - Flying Saucer Attack, Movietone, Crescent
- 3.5 - Drop City, Colorsound, Splash
- 3.6 - Dead C
- 3.7 - Zoviet France
- 3.8 - Skullflower
- 3.9 - My Bloody Valentine
- 3.10 - Bevis Frond and spin-offs
- 3.11 - Stereolab
- 3.12 - Noises From Japan
- 3.13 - Yo La Tengo
- 3.14 - Charalambides
- 3.15 - Nurse With Wound
- 3.16 - Loop, Main
- 3.17 - Mercury Rev
- 3.18 - Sundial
- 3.19 - Olivia Tremor Control and other Three Word Bands
- 3.20 - Bardo Pond
- PART 4: Music / Musicians / Bands - Ancestors
- 4.1 - Krautrock
- 4.2 - Davy Graham
- 4.3 - Sun Ra
- 4.4 - The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, John Cale, etc.
- 4.5 - Thirteenth Floor Elevators and Roky Erickson
- 4.6 - Glenn Branca
- 4.7 - Hawkwind
- 4.8 - Fairport Convention
- 4.9 - Pink Floyd
- 4.10 - Spirit
- 4.11 - Brian Eno
- 4.12 - Godz
- PART 5: Music / Musicians / Bands - Even Earlier (Folk, "World Beat", and other early sounds)
- 5.1 - Armenian folk music
- 5.2 - Carnatic music of southern India
- 5.3 - Didgeridoo
- 5.4 - The Original Ethnodrone Thread (Morocco and others)
- 5.5 - British Folk (Current and past)
- PART 6: So where can I find all of this?
- 6.1 - BOMP! Records Mail Order
- 6.2 - Parasol
- 6.3 - Wayside
- 6.4 - Anomalous Records
- 6.5 - Eclipse Records
- 6.6 - Drone Tourism: On-line guide to record stores
- PART 7: Everything else
- 7.1 - Anyone ever try Brian Eno's speaker arrangement from On Land?
- 7.2 - What's the best way to prepare Chex mix?
- 7.3 - Where/what are the Oblique Strategies cards?
- PART 8: Zines, Books, etc.
- 8.1 - Ptolemaic Terrascope
- 8.2 - Whirlpool
- 8.3 - Astronauts
- 8.4 - Ruta 66
- 8.5 - Electronic/experimental music texts
- 8.6 - Silencer
- PART 9: Effects, Musician Toys, etc.
- 9.1 - Ring Modulators
Server space courtesy of
DroneOn Frequently Asked Questions - email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org